Street Meeting Thirty Sixth
T he Lord's Day is the most laborious and strenuous day of all the week for me. How differently did I once spend it! When we were yet in religion, our concern after the accustomed duties were ended was where the family should spend the remainder of the day, what cinema we should attend, or at which fine restaurant we should eat. Thus I thought to render somewhat unto God, and reserve the rest unto ourselves. I saw no great contradiction in it then. Having done those things which I accounted Christian, I persuaded myself that I had done God service, and the remaining hours might therefore be disposed of according to our own pleasure. I grievously decided what portion of the day God should receive, and was altogether insensible both to the command and to the duty of the day. Religion had received its portion, and self-indulgence might have what remained. How little did I understand that I was still my own master, even whilst imagining myself to be serving God. This late evening...







Comments
Post a Comment
Be kind. Share your thoughts.