Return To Hometown

We returned to Novaliches to finally fulfill my burden for this particular place. A good 56 kilometer trip under the blazing summer heat. The original plan was to meet up Jet in Muzon, Bulacan by 7 AM and travel together to our target. But after waiting for 30 minutes as providence would have it, we proceeded without our brother. In spite of having apprehensions that my and daughter and I would have to labor alone today, I left the matter to the LORD.

We arrived around 9:30 AM and received a message from home that the brothers were already on their way. I thanked Father. But being unfamiliar with all the changes the place had undergone, I realized there was no familiar spot where we can meet. I also had no communication with them. So I asked Father to lead the brothers to where we were. Surely enough, after some time waiting He did.

Making our way inside the wet market we were guided to this particular street behind the main road. The crowd had already started thinning out by this time but it was still packed than usual. We left it to the LORD to bring the fish to us. The more than 200 tracts we brought were gone even before we were done. We publicly proclaimed law and grace for more than an hour.

I have been asked before,

'Why do you preach much on the law and too little on the gospel?'

Much preaching on sin and judgment magnifies the efficacy of the Gospel. The more the people are thrown into despair and conviction, the greater the need for a Savior. For people to run to safety, there must first be a clear indication of impending danger. To belittle God's terrifying judgment on sin takes away the need for the cross, and presents a convenient Christ who saves only from the trials and sorrows of this world.

But there is a tendency for preachers who do not know God to go to the far end of both extremes. One extreme is to concentrate much on lambasting people for their sin to provoke them to anger. This type of preaching is worthless and does more damage to the gospel than Satan does. It only wounds. Nothing more. The other is to overemphasize the gospel too much that it affirms the people to continue in their sin. This type of preaching is just as deadly, and worthless. It soothes the criminal. Nothing more. There is a very thin line between these two extremes where both the law and the good news can rest comfortably side by side yet deliver maximum efficiency both to wound and heal. To convict the hearer into helplessness and offer hope at the same time. To be uncompromising and yet gentle. The preacher must find the grace to walk this thin line. Else the labor is in vain, and the precious pearls of the gospel are merely thrown to the swine.


I was assisted with the Spirit and with power in the proclamation. The vendors were visibly shaken, staring blankly into space, almost ignoring their buyers. I took this position against this large wall and directed my horn towards it. The wall became a large speaker, bouncing my voice far and all over. My daughter who walked a considerable distance away from us giving away tracts told me she can still hear me. Praise God. Dear brother Jet carried the cross beside me, and our beloved companions handed out tracts. I take great comfort to labor alongside like-minded brethren who have a zeal for the LORD and His kingdom.


Dear Jeff rode from Quezon City to join us. I did not expect it, but I was elated to receive a message from him that he was on his way. Jeff is a fruit of the LORD's work through our videos. It takes much effort for him to ride from Quezon City to Bulacan and back just to fellowship with us on Sundays.
 
This other brother N--- was also led to one of our videos as the LORD dealt with him beforehand about his sins. We continually communicated through email after that and eventually, he decided to partake in supporting the ministry. This day, taking the commute from Pasig City, he honored us with his presence by joining this particular outreach outside the borders of Bulacan. May the LORD nurture the fire in this brother and call him to labor in His vineyard.


The gospel truly is sweetness in the mouth. Time and again I find myself still delivering my current message and the words I am supposed to say next are already prepared in my mind. Out of my belly flow rivers of living water. Terrible judgments and immeasurable mercies. May it please the LORD to enable me to occupy till He comes.

Comments