A Worthwhile Project

I judged it a matter of practical wisdom to preserve my own handwriting as a TrueType font, that it might one day be left unto my children as a small remembrance of their father. It is nowhere near impressive as my father's, it simply says I was here. In this I have often reflected with regret that I paid so little attention to my own father's beautiful handwriting whilst it was still before me. Even as a child I delighted to look upon it. There was a peculiar grace in its long sweeping strokes, its flowing tails, its broken spaces, and its stately capital letters. I once asked him why he did not write as other men did. With a smile he answered, "I write as though I were conducting an orchestra."

He was a musician. I understand his meaning now.

In every stroke there was a measured movement, every line yielding to the next with something of rhythm and harmony, as though the pen itself obeyed an unseen cadence. I remember how it would flow, then suddenly pause, giving way to short, deliberate spaces like the staccato of a musical score, before sweeping again into a graceful crescendo. At times it seemed to ascend with quiet confidence; at others, to descend with equal elegance. I cannot fully express how it yet appears within my memory. It was not merely handwriting, but movement set to ink. Yet I possess none of his letters today. Nothing remains by which I may study again the hand I once admired so carelessly. The only time he sought to explain these things to me, I was only a boy. I shrugged my shoulders, thought little of it, and ran outside to play.

I thought not to make the same mistake for my children.

Comments

Popular Posts

Public Reading of Scripture

The Lamb's Book of Life, And The Eternal Will Of God For The Security Of Those Who Have Been Graciously Called To Come & Believe

Dinner Guest

God Loves You

One Soul

Kenneth