Lolomboy, 120.9360, 14.7815
Balagtas - 120.9053, 14.8187

Lolomboy

I slept but little, and was awakened much earlier than was needful. Yet the conviction to go forth this day rested so strongly upon my mind that I could not put it aside. Having asked my dear wife, who was still unwell, whether she could manage the day in my absence, and receiving her consent, I resolved to set out for that place which had long remained impressed upon my thoughts—Lolomboy Market.

We had stood there twice before. 2020 and 2023. Yet I cannot say that I chose this location today; rather, I felt myself compelled to it. My body was very tired, and I felt I would vomit any moment. The rain had continued throughout the greater part of the week, and by every consideration this was no suitable day to stand in public. Had I my way, I should gladly have remained at home. Such are seasons when conviction speaketh more loudly than comfort. Reluctance in the flesh, I have learned, comes with obeying Christ in the spirit. I knew I must go.

Hitherto my custom had been to preach outside the markets, never within them. It seemed that the Lord might now be leading me into a new field of labor. There was a great deadness over the place, no different from that which I have often witnessed elsewhere. Nearly a hundred vendors were gathered there. Some passed the time idly upon their phones, others attended to the few customers who came by, but most sat gazing into space with that vacant expression so common to souls arrested by the preaching of the Word. The LORD knoweth. My equipment had failed almost as soon as I began. Yet I could not now draw back. If every outward aid were taken from me, still the Gospel remained the power of God unto salvation.

Some of those standing nearest at first made light of what they heard, jesting one with another as the message began. Yet, as I pressed on, their manner gradually changed, and a greater seriousness settled upon them. Even the music that had been playing within the market was turned off. Looking toward the farther end of the enclosure, I could see several faces fixed in my direction, and I knew that my voice had reached them. The Lord alone knoweth why He constrained me to stand in that place. For my own part, I should have counted it no small mercy had but one soul truly listened. Yet I trust the LORD to do better than my expectations, for He has always done exceeding abundantly above all that I ask or think.

Balagtas

I had purposed in my mind to visit four locations this afternoon. The skies were parted for me on the way to my first location. Yet, having departed from Lolomboy and proceeding toward Guiguinto, the rain began to finally fall, compelling me to turn back and seek shelter before the market at Balagtas. Such an interruption was no part of my plan.

As I waited quietly with my thoughts, I turned to see a small platform beside me. It was perfect to stand on. Why not here? I perceived that, if Providence had brought me there, I ought not to leave without first making use of it. The LORD ever turns the way for me (Proverbs 16:33). I was already wet through, chilled by the rain, and my body longed only for home. My own mind pleaded earnestly that I should abandon the remainder of the day. But I was determined to ignore my mind pleading for me to go home.

Yet out of respect for the Muslim shops that was directly in front of the platform, I looked elsewhere, to the middle of the road, and saw this concrete slab. It was not a favorable spot in terms of safety, but it was the only place the Word would command everyone's attention. I crossed over and went up to it. There I lifted up Christ. My voice came forth with an unusual firmness, free from hesitation and apology, as though every lingering fear never was. The truth itself admitted no apology. Christ who justifies the ungodly (Romans 4:5) was proclaimed plainly, faithfully, and without shame amidst strange looks.

Massive trucks passed continually, some within but three feet from me, others as near behind. At times too close to touch with bent arms. I could not care less. Whenever one crossed before me, it hid me for a moment from those in front, yet my voice was amplified more towards those behind me. And when another passed behind me, the same served those who stood before me. Thus even these passing vehicles seemed, in their own manner, to become instruments carrying my voice for the furtherance of the proclamation.

I suppose it was unwise to stand where I had taken my place, the danger was evident enough. Though several enforcers were present and heard all that was spoken, not one came to reprimand me or shoo me away. The Lord who had brought me there was pleased also to grant me liberty to remain.

As though the weariness of the day were not enough, my body camera failed both at Lolomboy and again at this place. After half and hour my bullhorn suddenly died on me, compelling me to return to my parked motorcycle in search of the spare battery. There the Lord was pleased to send me an unexpected encouragement. A man, Pastor J_, approached and introduced himself as a church planter and the pastor of a nearby gathering. He spoke kindly of the labor and greatly refreshed my spirit by his words. Had not my amplifier died and sent me back to where I had parked, I should not have met the kind brother who afterward invited me to a nearby place, where we enjoyed quiet fellowship and shared our stories. I received his encouragement with gratitude, yet excused myself without delay, for I could not permit even so welcome an interruption to draw me away from the work before me.

Having fitted the fresh battery, I hastened to my place and resumed the proclamation of the Gospel with renewed vigor, until that second battery also failed. Had it not been, the final portion of the message would not have been delivered with such great earnestness. Yet by then I was burning within, and I could not stop. It had to be proclaimed. Having no further means I set my failed equipments away and continued in the open air, my voice being lifted with greater power than when I had amplification. With all my crutches gone, the truth takes center stage: "Walang ibang kaligtasan kundi sa pangalan lang ni Hesus!"

Truly, there hath never been an occasion with me in which the Father did not go before His Word. Let the instrument fail, the message must not. It cannot.

Comments

Popular Posts

Public Reading of Scripture

The Lamb's Book of Life, And The Eternal Will Of God For The Security Of Those Who Have Been Graciously Called To Come & Believe

Dinner Guest

God Loves You

One Soul

Kenneth