Dinner Guest


My wife and I were waiting at our table as our dinner was about to be served when I noticed a young lad of about 19 years approach the table beside us and asked the gentleman sitting if he could spare a few minutes to talk to him. It didn't come as a surprise when he was waved away, this rejection coming across as something all too familiar already as I myself have learned since endeavouring to talk with people of differing personalities. I've had numerous instances also in the past where people such as this youth would approach me specially when I am at a meal, either to ask for money, sell me small items, or even delicacies, to raise funds for one reason or another. I also have always consistently declined them, aware of such schemes, but more often than not I simply did not want to give money, but this time thoughts suddenly ran through my mind that clearly told me, "talk to him." I knew then that he would approach us next.

He went as if he would have skipped our table but he turned and went back to take a chance and nervously introduced himself. Needless to say I welcomed his person with a smile and asked him what it was about as I motioned for him to pull a chair and join us at the table, as I did not want him to feel out of place and unwelcomed, and as such he can show us properly whatever it is he wants to show.

John Paul was his name. He had an identification card around his neck referring to an organization he represented that helps promote programs for schooled youth. He showed us his slides and lengthily talked about selling handicrafts that he told us he himself had. I was eager to show him my deep appreciation for his craft as I myself am well acquainted with extensive hand-made goods. On good day he sells about ten of these, which would earn him a thousand pesos, but today he's only sold two. I'm not one to fall for stories from strangers but I had it in mind to exchange stories with him: I will buy his wares if I can share with him the Lord's story after.

He looked relieved realizing this was to be a quick and easy presentation, but as he ended, I told him that since he sold me something, now I must in turn sell him something. He was just as pleased, or confused, to return the favor but he promptly told me he had no money (probably thinking he must have stumbled upon a salesman having dinner). I said, "If you'll allow me at this time to speak to you in return all I ask as a kind favor from you is that you simply listen." I then presented to him the Gospel, beginning at the Law. The uncertainty of his life and how fleeting it is to be cut short at any moment without notice, his crimes against a holy and righteous God, the hellish penalty he justly deserves, his helplessness in doing anything about his case, and finally the sufficient propitiation of Christ for the sentence he should have received.

How often would I get the chance to have a person listen closely with intent and clearly explain what I need to in great detail? This can only happen by divine appointment. Before leaving my house my wife and I took with us tracts, determining to end the day witnessing to people who more often than not couldn't care less about our concern. This person was a golden opportunity served on a  platter.

In ending I handed John Paul a tract and asked him to simply read it, and ypon finishing to read it again, and again, till he begins to understand what the words were saying to him. He took it, shook my hand with sincerity as he first thanked us for buying from him and for taking time to speak with him about his soul.

After he left I felt full like I've eaten already as I clipped my cool new key chain to my bag.



Comments