Street Meeting Thirty Fifth
This day hath been spent, very early, in much activity, the labor of it having begun even the night before, while the teachers prepare the materials and the food, the prizes and the place, for the children's review of those lessons which they had formerly received.
Most of the little company who first began with us, and continued these three years, have now grown older and gone their several ways, leaving their places to be filled by others. It affected me somewhat to consider how quietly these years had passed. Children whom we once gathered and instructed are children no longer; and now another little company sits where they once sat.
Of the nearly twenty children presently coming amongst us, three have also begun joining us in the celebration of the Lord's Day. This giveth me no small encouragement. We know not what the Lord may be pleased to do with these little ones, nor how much of what is now spoken they shall carry with them into years which we ourselves may never live to see.
The morning was therefore occupied with their classes, after which followed our fellowship; and at eleven we entered upon the public worship of God, continuing until somewhat past one in the afternoon. Yet this was but half the labor appointed for the day.
There remained enough time afterward for a much-needed quick sleep; and truly the body was thankful for it. But the day was not yet ours to close. After resting awhile, we must rise again and make ready for the park, where another congregation altogether awaited us—made up of such souls as the providence of God should bring within hearing at our accustomed Street Meeting. Thus from the children in the morning unto strangers in the evening, the Lord was pleased to furnish the day with work.
The public proclamation ordinarily continues for an hour or somewhat more; and when this is ended, there follows further fellowship with the saints over a common meal in the evening. Thus we remain together awhile longer, speaking of the things of God and of the labors of the day, until at length we part and retire every one unto his own home.
Yet even upon arriving home the day's work is not altogether finished. I presently set myself to preparing the audio recording of the message preached that afternoon, that it might be shared with all who gathered with us; whilst my dear wife occupies herself in auditing the expenses incurred in the day's ministry. These I afterward tally and carefully record, that nothing concerning the Lord's money might be left uncertain, and that at the close of the month I may give a public account of what hath been received and spent. Writing then follows, together with ordering the blog, that some record of the day's labor might remain.
Thus our Sabbath is hardly a day of sitting still and doing nothing. Indeed, I should account such idleness a poor use of hours consecrated unto God. No; the day of rest hath increasingly taught me another manner of resting. It is not principally that the body should cease from every exertion, but that we cease from our own ordinary pursuits, turn aside from those things which employ us through the week, and give ourselves more wholly unto those things which concern the kingdom of God. To do good upon the Sabbath is lawful; and surely there can be no better employment of the day than to spend ourselves upon that which belongs unto Christ.
I felt this particularly whilst considering how much labor had filled the day. There had been preparation, the children, fellowship, worship, the Street Meeting, another meal with the saints, and afterward the quieter labors at home. The body indeed desired rest, and received what little was needful; but methought this very weariness instructed me. Our rest is not here.
Whilst we remain in this body there is work appointed us. The night cometh soon enough when these hands shall cease altogether. Why then should I desire beforehand that ease which shall presently come of itself? Our Lord Himself went about doing good, and whilst the Father gave Him work to accomplish, He wrought. I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work (John 9:4).
The sensible tug of age hath not altogether escaped my notice. I perceive that this poor body is somewhat more frail than it was even a year ago, and yields more readily to sickness than formerly. Perhaps those many nights wherein I have continued laboring until the morning hours have at length begun to demand their reckoning. The body keeps an account of such things, though for a season we ourselves take little notice of them.
My eyesight also troubleth me at times, becoming somewhat dim, especially while I write. Sleepiness attends me through much of the day; yet strangely, when at last I lay myself down and would gladly sleep, wakefulness often meets me there. My old affliction of gout likewise returns frequently, choosing now one place and then another, and each visitation seems more painful than those which went before. Yet of all that grows weary, I think my mind is the most tired.
I find within myself an increasing desire to become still—to withdraw somewhat from the continual succession of things requiring to be done, and to have leisure simply to consider, contemplate, and meditate upon those things which pass before me. This desire hath grown stronger of late; and the less opportunity I find for such quietness, the more sensible I become of an inward agitation.
Perhaps the Lord is teaching me that there is a weariness which sleep cannot remedy. The body asks for its bed, but the mind asks for stillness. I have spent much time doing, speaking, writing, preparing, going forth and returning again; and now something within me increasingly desires to sit quietly before God and understand what all these things have been doing within my own soul.
For three years and somewhat more our blessed Lord went about proclaiming the kingdom, instructing His disciples, and bearing witness unto the Father, that they might know the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom He had sent. And when the work given Him to accomplish upon earth was finished, He ascended on high and sat down at the right hand of God, all power and authority being His.
I thought upon this in considering my own weariness. I too have work appointed me whilst I remain here; not His work, which none can share or repeat, but that poor service which He hath been pleased to put into my hands for the advancement of His kingdom. And whilst I am employed in it, I must expect to find the world against me, the flesh within me, and the devil opposing me. Why should I wonder at the conflict whilst I yet remain upon the field?
I would gladly have the rest whilst the warfare is yet unfinished. I would have the quiet of home whilst still upon the journey. But this cannot be. Glorification cometh after sanctification, not before it. Whilst there remaineth corruption to be mortified, obedience to be rendered, souls to be pleaded with, and Christ to be confessed before men, there remaineth work.
Oh, how backward is this poor heart! It would sometimes possess the crown whilst yet shrinking from the cross; it would sit down before the appointed course hath been run. But my Lord entered His glory by the path appointed Him of the Father; and shall the servant complain that his own little course hath weariness in it?
Nay. Let me rather finish what He giveth me to do. There shall come an hour when no flesh remaineth to trouble me, no world to entice or reproach me, and no devil to withstand me. Sanctification shall have issued in glorification, faith in sight, and labor in rest. But that hour is not yet. So long as He keeps me here, I must work in the vineyard of my Lord.
There remains therefore a rest unto the people of God, but I seek not its fullness here. Eternal life with the Lord—there is rest indeed. There the laborer shall at length lay down his burden, not because he hath grown weary of serving Christ, but because his earthly service hath been accomplished. Until that hour, if the Lord lends strength, let these hands work. We shall have eternity enough to rest with Him.











Comments
Post a Comment