An Encouragement To Remember
An aged woman came toward me whilst I stood near the entrance of the park, giving away tracts unto those who passed by. As she drew near, her eye caught the cross printed upon the paper which I held out unto her.
“What is this?” she asked.
“It is about the Christ who died for sinners,” I replied.
At this she smiled. “I also am a Christian, and am doing ministry at my age.”
Her words immediately warmed my heart. Here was an aged mother, whom I had never before seen, meeting me for but a few moments beside the road; yet we knew one another by the same Christ. “Then I shall see thee in the kingdom after all, dear mother.”
She gave me a little sign of approval, and, as she continued on her way, turned her words once more toward me: “Continue what you are doing.” And so she departed.
I knew nothing of her name, whence she came, nor what labors for Christ occupied her remaining years. Our whole acquaintance had lasted but a few moments. Yet her words remained with me after she was gone. Perhaps we shall never meet again upon this side of eternity. But if indeed we both belong unto that Christ of whom we spoke, our next meeting shall require no hurried farewell.
As for her charge to me—Continue what you are doing.
I most certainly will.
The thick bundle of tracts passed but slowly from my hand; yet they passed unto those whom the Lord had appointed to receive them. I had not purposed to come unto the park that afternoon, much less had I any thought of doing ministry. But while waiting for my dear wife to finish her errands, I knew not how better to redeem the time than by standing at the entrance and putting something of Christ into the hands of those who passed me.
Thus about an hour went by, until at length there remained but five tracts in my hand. I stood there waiting, as it were, for the last five fishes whom the Lord might send into the net. But while I waited, another impression came strongly upon me. Why should I only give away the written Word? Why should I not open my mouth also and proclaim the living Word?
There were at that time but few souls scattered about the park, and I had brought no amplifier with me, having never intended to preach. Yet when once I began, the LORD seemed pleased to multiply their number. One after another came within hearing, until that place which a little before had appeared so thinly attended was no longer so. Having no instrument whereby to strengthen my voice, I was obliged to cast myself upon the Lord and plead in the open air as He enabled me. And He did enable me. My voice, which I had feared would prove too weak for the place, carried even unto the farther end of the kiosk.
This affected me much. I had not intended to be there. I had not intended to minister. I had not intended to preach. I had brought nothing with me for preaching, save Christ in my heart and a fire kindling in my bones. Yet the Lord had brought me there, detained me there, gathered the people there, and then seemed to say unto this poor reluctant creature, "Go, stand, and speak."
So I did.
Comments
Post a Comment