Personal Reading Assignments

I have never had the inclination to read a considerably copious amount of material much less simultaneously than now. The most I have had before was a Hardy Boys book. Some comics. But I am given the pleasure to immerse myself in learning anew for the sake of learning Christ. Having begun last April of this year I am aiming to finish 10 books before the year ends. I read slow. Concerned more in understanding than in finishing. This present personal reading list includes the ebooks listed below.


Recommended readings:

A Certain Sound by Ryan Denton and Scott Smith is an introduction to the theology and practice of preaching the gospel in public. I had no guidance to preaching in public when I first started, and I was enabled to learn as I went - often alone. The route I took was very long, and I am pleased to read that much of what I learned is communicated in this work. There are no master blueprint on engaging the proclamation of the gospel in public as it differs in every culture. This book nails down the great necessity of approaching the open-air ministry with a biblical mindset and more importantly a biblical foundation, enabling the preacher to wield the word wisely, minister to the lost, and silence the reprobate.


Even If None by Ryan Denton: "Are we still successful if our evangelism sees little or no conversions? How do we gauge our evangelism effectiveness, especially if it leads to hatred and societal ostracism? When did evangelism become so mushy and pragmatic, and how do we get back to a biblical approach?Western Christianity had a significant influence on the culture for several centuries. It is accustomed to “success” in some degree or another. Today it is no longer that way. When it comes to evangelism, what do we do in light of such circumstances? Modern evangelism is rife with gimmicks and the wisdom of man. It wasn't always this way, so what happened and where do we go from here? By looking at the Scriptures and church history, these are the questions answered in this book. Now more than ever we must trust in God’s Word—not only for how to do evangelism, but to know what will happen to those who evangelize."

Called To The Ministry by Edmund Clowney is a warm and gospel saturated admonition and encouragement for those who are in mind to serve in ministry. A mature look into the heart that yearns to faithfully serve the Lord's flock. This is my first read on Clowney and already he is one of my favorite authors. A user by the name of nshorb writes -

Too many Christians are asserting that God's calling is an emotional experience or a really strong hunch, a subjective claim that can't be refuted by a fellow Christian. Furthermore, many young people feel the need to figure out exactly what God wants them to do before they act, and they drive themselves into a paralyzed depression in the process. A calling is neither of these. Clowney takes the mystery out of the idea. What you're gifted in, you're called for, and what you're called for, you're gifted in. Start serving and fellowshipping where you are, and seize the opportunities that come. I greatly appreciated his straight-forward and Biblical approach to the idea of a calling. I am a 25 year-old who has been considering a call to full-time ministry in recent years. I've been fed a lot of crap about what a "calling" is and how one senses it, none of which has been helpful, but has rather served to confuse and complicate matters. This book is the most helpful, valuable, and sensible piece of guidance I've been given.

PRAYER

And on the subject most dear to my heart of all, I have master Bounds to learn from. George Mueller, David Brainerd, John Hyde - I am at home whenever I read their journals. My favorite of his works, Power Through Prayer, is at the end of this book. I cannot wait to read it again.

I have yet to find, or hear, a pastor who agonizes in prayer. Talks about doctrine you may have more than enough of. But all this machinery has not moved the church to boldly approach the throne of God and take Him at His word. Every one pursues knowledge, but nobody touches on this much neglected ministry that is highly prized by the Lord himself. I would gladly exchange any and all my abilities if I may only learn to pray as I ought.

The prayer closet is not an asylum for the indolent and worth less Christian. It is not a nursery where none but babes belong. It is the battlefield of the church, its citadel, the scene of heroic and unearthly conflicts. The closet is the base of supplies for the Christian and the church. Cut off from it, there is nothing left but retreat and disaster. The energy for work, the mastery over self, the deliverance from fear, and all spiritual results and graces, are much advanced by prayer. Purpose in Prayer. Page 38:

We are all in danger of substituting church work and a ceaseless round of showy activities for prayer and holy living. A holy life does not live in the closet, but it cannot live without the prayer closet. If, by any chance, a person should establish a prayer chamber but not have an accompanying holy life, it would be a chamber without the presence of God in it. Page 36:


Where are the Christlike leaders who can teach the modern saints how to pray? Where are the leaders who will put them to the task? Do our leaders know we are raising up a prayerless set of saints? Where are the apostolic leaders who can put God's people to praying? Let them come to the front and do the work, and it will be the greatest work that can be done. The Energy of Prayer. Page 37:

Comments