Professing Faith Alone Does Not Save - Part IV


 

A.D. 1560. Pope Pius IV, ordered all the Protestants to be severely persecuted throughout the Italian states, when great numbers of every age, sex, and condition, suffered martyrdom. Concerning the cruelties practiced on this occasion, a learned and humane Roman Catholic thus spoke of them, in a letter to the noble lord:
"I cannot forebear disclosing my sentiments, with respect to the executions now carrying on: I think it cruel and unnecessary; I tremble at the manner of putting to death, _ it resembles more the slaughter of calves and sheep, than the execution of human beings. 

I will relate to your lordship a dreadful scene, of which I myself an eye witness: seventy Protestants were cooped up in one filthy dungeon together; the executioner went in among them, picked out one from among the rest, blindfolded him, led him out to an open place before the prison, and cut his throat with the greatest composure. He then calmly walked into the prison again, bloody as he was, and with the knife in his hand selected another, and despatched him in the same manner; and this, my lord, he repeated until the whole number were put to death. I leave it to your lordship's feelings to judge of my sensations upon this occasion; my tears now wash the paper upon which I give you the recital. 

Another thing I must mention - the patience with which they met death : they seemed all resignation and piety, fervently praying to God, and cheerfully encountering their fate. I cannot reflect without shuddering, how the executioner held the bloody knife between his teeth; what a dreadful figure he appeared, all covered with blood, and with what unconcern he executed his barbarous office."
----

This part I personally read in my teen years, even just once, and the subject's reply resonated with my soul, and I remembered it word for word, even when I was dead to such Christ-like resolve. 
Francis Gamba, a Lombard, of the Protestant persuasion, was apprehended, and condemned to death by the senate of Milan. At the place of execution, a monk presented a cross to him, to whom he said, "My mind is so full of the real merits and goodness of Christ that I want not a piece of senseless stick to put me in mind of him." For this expression his tongue was bored through, and he was afterward burnt.
 
Chapter VI. An ccount of the persecutions in Italy under the papacy.
Foxe's Book of Martyrs

Comments