Our Old Fishing Hole

It's an old ploy for people here, (usually they have children with them,) to come up to you asking for money. Their reasons range from having dropped their wallet, needing fare to go home to the province, being lost in the city and having nowhere to go. I can't possibly tell if the person is in real need or just scamming me. But I use the open opportunity to ask them for a few minutes to talk before I give them help. 
 
This lady was asking us for money. She says she needs 40 pesos to buy rice. I asked her if she knew who Christ was and she enthusiastically said yes. I glanced at her closed hand and saw the familiar purple color of a hundred peso bill and a few more. She had more money than I did. When she noticed my eyes she shyly hid her hand behind her. She claimed to be very religious, and believed herself to be a good person by virtue of religion.
 
A minute into the conversation, I bluntly asked her if she ever lied in asking people. Without thinking her quick answer was, "just now". I asked her again to make sure I heard right, "you're lying right now?" She obviously slipped because after she realized it she frantically told me she needed to go. I asked for just another minute, hoping I can explain sin more clearly. She stood up without saying goodbye and walked away. I didn't get to share the gospel, but may the LORD return her folly upon her head, and grant her mercy.

Our dear sister Moureen promptly joined us today for our public proclamation. I left our house with my beloved wife still now knowing where we were headed today, but I take Father's silence to mean anywhere is perfect: He will be there with us. This is our idea of a perfect date.


As expected I was graciously assisted with power and urgency in my pleading. People parked to listen across us for a great part of the proclamation. The long wait at the intersection gave ample time for a lot of people to hear what they needed to hear. The seed of the word fell on the right soil, everyone else was warned.

Comments