Kenneth

Kenneth is around 15 years of age. He did not look anything like the typical street dweller we commonly see because he was even healthier than my children by appearance. But he was obviously hungry. The guard was not at his post when he entered the establishment we were in. This was just a chance meal we thought of having after distributing bibles and tracts at a busy market near the university belt in Manila, but some of our best divine appointments come about suddenly and without warning.

Kenneth went from table to table, asking everyone eating for money, to buy food. He was waved off every time. When he came to us at last, we asked him to sit with us and told him we cannot give him money, but we can buy him food instead. I have learned that one of the best opportunities to share the gospel is when people are asking something from you.


I asked him if he knew who Jesus is, to which he blankly replied, "tagapagligtas", (savior). "From what?", I asked. "Kasalanan" (sin), he answered. There is never a textbook manual for talking with people, but I was silently asking for the Lord to give me insight on how I can lift up Christ in our conversation. And though I am always, always, at a loss, God's grace never fails to come through. He was visibly uncomfortable and squirming when the topic began with the law and his personal accountability, with his sin and with his death. He gave unintelligible answers, mumbled words, and was not quite into the conversation. Something was keeping him. When I spoke directly to the spirit inside of him, his eyes auddenly locked with mine, and I now had his attention. He calmed down, and began to break up inside, bowing his head low at times, covering his face, and barely kept himself from crying. God was working in him a deep conviction about a troublesome thing in his past that he had done, resulting in grievous consequences, which he was now having a hard time reliving. When I confronted him about it, his eyes shifted to like that of a small child, caught with his hand inside the cookie jar. He wrestled in his mind with the reality of death, the hopelessness he had, and the light that Christ was offering him. I pleaded with him earnestly about Christ. About the hope that is to be found only in him, and that food was not what he really needed, but life. Life to be found only in Christ.

He was looking at me the whole time, teary eyed. I was thinking to myself, "Here is this young man, who when he woke up this morning probably had nothing else in mind but the thought of simply asking enough money from people, being able to buy food, go home, and survive again the next day. Now he is suddenly overwhelmed with eternal things.." He bowed his head low in a long pause. It was truly painful to look at him. I simply prayed for him while we waited for him to regain his composure. After a few more minutes he lifted his head, politely thanked us for everything, and left.

That night I had a chance to think back on the sovereignty of God's power in having us eat at that place, and his mercy in bringing a soul to us, the grace of being given words to speak, and the high honor of presenting Christ crucified. This old lesson has always been with me: I do not need to know what to say to everyone, I only need to make myself available anytime for God's use. Whatever this young man had gone through, may he be found in Christ in the end.

Please remember Kenneth in your prayers. May the Lord Christ Jesus be glorified in making himself known to him. Amen.

Comments