Glen


I met Glen one morning at the place I was handing out tracts at, and among those who took from me, he was the only one who confronted me regarding what it said in the text. As I turned to leave he got up after me and asked me, "Hey, hold on there. It says here that God is good. Can you please explain to me how God can be good? This can't be true. I don't believe this. Where was he when my wife ran away with another man taking my daughter with her and all our belongings? My father, who is a pastor, never treated me like a son. My family shunned me, and treated me as a stranger. I have been living on the streets because of this. I'd rather live here than with my parents. My life is a mess. I have nothing in my heart but anger at my father and at God. So this thing that says, God is good, this doesn't make sense. It simply cannot be true."

I can tell he wasn't asking for answers, not a confrontation. I asked him, if he was willing to listen, that I would be willing to explain. We sat under a tree to talk. I prayed in my thoughts for wisdom on how to answer this man. I would never dare assume what I would say would sufficiently fill the huge gap in this man's heart. Only God knows. I kept praying as he slowly began narrating to me the details of his life.

The whole dialogue took us over an hour. Instead of catering to his hurt, the Lord revealed his heart for what it truly is: a selfish ingrate who fed off the mercy of God day by day and never knew it. But this was the very first time he saw himself in this light. He now saw his sins against a holy God, and the sins of people against him faded away.

"I've listened to my father all my life telling me the things of God, but it only went in one ear and out the other. It never fazed  me. I thought that was all Christianity had to offer: an empty routine. But this was the first time I felt shame, shame for who I am, for who I have been. Every word you said went straight to my heart, and I can't believe I'm sitting here thinking that I came here three days ago to wait for my friend who told me he'll  fetch me here to help me, only to meet you today, and hear these things instead." I gave him a bible, and asked him to finish reading the rest of the tract which explains the whole scenario more clearly. I explained to him that he understood not because of human logic,  but that God had removed the veil from his eyes, his ears, and his heart. In his mercy He has allowed him to approach his throne.

I invited him over for an early meal at the nearby food joint, and we were joined thirty minutes later by my fellow brother who really was the person I was supposed to meet here today. But obviously God had other plans. I gave him money so he can go back to his fellow street dwellers and tell them to come back here so I can also share with them. According to Glen there are hundreds like him who depend on feedings offered by different institutions of religion everywhere, in exchange for indoctrination. Almost all of them have their own bibles. I marvelled at this thought! How tenderly does God take care of his simple creatires. It is true! While most well-off people will ignore the gospel,  these poor folk welcome Christ with open arms. Most of these people have been living off food from alms for years, and though there are times of hunger, it was still much less than when they were fed for the day. They know it is God who feeds them through people.

I promised Glen that I would come back and meet with him again. As of the moment we have met for the second time, and since then he has read his bible consistently for the first time in his life. He was known to his fellows as Glen who hates the bible, but now he  barely parts with the word and shares what he's learned with them when they have their daily fellowship.

Please remember Glen in your prayers. May the seeds sown in him turn out to be seeds sown in good soil. One that would grow into a mighty tree where the birds of the air will take shelter in, and earn the God whom he now loves the glory and honor He truly deserves.

Comments