Sound Doctrine

From my journal entry. Early twilight of November 2, 2017

Sound doctrine is not about having good theology or becoming a walking concordance: it is about bearing fruit. It is possible to become a good professor of religion without really knowing God. Titus writes about what sound doctrine is:

Titus 2:1-15
But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 

These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

I have well realized that sound doctrine is good behavior. Good doctrine is sound behavior. There was a time when I was finishing quite a thick book about George Whitefield and remember becoming fascinated about him. God has been careful in reminding me that there is to be no substitute to His word. I will admit that in becoming fascinated with the creature, I realized I was already despising the Creator. This is a great shame.

I can boast all day long about how much I know of God, yet it is a very different thing to experience him. I can learn about God by reading other books or comparing how spiritually gifted saints lived their lives, but the truth is I must experience Him to be able to know Him. The pursuit of the redeemed should not be to know Him, but to fellowship with Him and delight in Him. As Moses' face never shone in his life till only after he spent extended time with God alone, so shall my good fruit only shine before men after I have spent much time with the Father.

It is possible to preach to men about God without really knowing Him. If I do this then it is not by His spirit that I preach but by my knowledge. This is, with all regret, a great folly. One that would earn me the ire and coldness of the Lord. Learn not about a great man of God but about the great God who made the man. Dwell not on the boldness of an Elijah who faced more than 400 heathen prophets at Mt. Carmel, but marvel at the God who sent the answer as fire and rain from heaven. I read about David coming against a giant, but do I also see that he didn't come against the Philistine with sword and spear but solely in the name of the Lord of hosts? 

Learning about God only benefits me if what I learned about Him comes from my experience of Him, from men I may get tips and small pointers, but I look only to God who alone allows me to bear fruit and prunes me. I may have increased knowledge, but no tree was ever known by its knowledge. A new creature is never born again by the power of knowledge but by experiencing the power of God in Christ. Every person will be known by their fruit. Good and true fruit only manifests in manners born out of a pure heart, though more evidently with the words that we use with or against our neighbor. Knowledge only benefits the brain, experiencing God gives understanding that in turn changes the heart. I will bear good fruit only by fellowship with God, not by any goodness apart from Him.

I renew my resolve to read the Bible more than I do other books, and to listen to God more than I do to men. To wait on Him more in prayer. Men I look up to, die. The great God who made men, is eternal. Know God, or I have no God.

Comments