Holy. Not Fancy.

It has been over a month since my invitation to connect with the pastor of this small body of believers was sent. I can understand the apprehension and care he exercised in his judgement to accept. It took  pastor Derek's recommendation to finally make the connection. After a short exchange of messages with the pastor we were invited to attend this weekend's worship services at a location 16 kilometers from where we lived. I have been working straight since Saturday morning, the whole week actually, and have just driven home by 6 AM this Sunday, the service was set at 9:15 AM barely giving me time to get some shuteye. Being my age, I cannot do as I seldom did when I still had the life in me, staying up for three days at the most. But now, if I do not get to sleep right I have heavy pains in my chest. But for this day, I would not make excuses not to fellowship with these brethren.


Upon arriving, we were fetched at a location by pastor Jordan, whom I deemed to be a kind and humble soul when I shook his hand; I cannot help but weep when I heard the congregation singing. I have not heard such voices, not even when we left the megachurch we attended two years past, with its blaring sound systems, choir costumes, and discotheque light shows. Even the small children knew the words. I just knew the Lord was here. I bowed myself in thanksgiving.

The worship was followed by a time of edification by those who had something to share of the Lord's goodness for the past week. There was no hesitation to confess their personal short-comings, no ego, it was just lifting up the Lord in spite of their weaknesses. I was very pleased and rejoiced inside. To be amidst true brethren was absolutely overwhelming. I cannot thank the Lord's mercy enough for giving me strength to still be awake at this time with barely a wink for the past 28 hours.

Pastor Jordan's message on Ephesians 4:25 was simple to the ears yet penetrating. I was happy with what I heard. Did I mention they also held prayer meetings each week? I encouraged pastor Idos' in the prayer meeting being the Cinderella of this church, not the service. I would have wanted to share and encourage the congregation as well, but my voice has left me the day after I preached at Vito Cruz this Friday. There were some souls who had visited this church in times past, but they were turned off with the simplicity of everything you see here. I saw it to be a beautiful testimony of this particular group of redeemed people who were not after vain displays of extravagance like you would most see in air-conditioned churches. I call those church as refrigerators, because they tend to numb you down to being a mere member or attendee, rendering their congregation to be cold and lifeless in the variety of church programs and celebrity speakers, the fire of God being absent in the lives of their pastors and with the congregation. 

I had a personal image of the type of church I wanted to have. It was a small Nipa hut in the middle of a rice field with just the soil for the ground, but where everybody was mighty in prayer and fasting. Where everybody knows how to spend days before the Lord weeping. I rejoiced in the fact that this small church was a simple tent church. It was better than what I had in mind actually.

Driving back home I felt extremely weak, and sure enough upon arriving home my fever spiked and I was forced to rest in bed. Sick times are a blessing from the LORD. It gives me time to withdraw and be quiet before him. Therefore I always give thanks when the flu drops in on me. It is always a time for rejoicing, praising and worship. The Lord was gracious to have woken me up 2 hours earlier than the usual 4 AM, giving me lots of time to immerse myself in His word. I went back to sleep just before the sun was beginning to break, resting joyfully for the day that has passed where His hand was manifested mightily.

Comments