One Soul
As I journeyed toward my fishing hole, my soul was much exercised in prayer, repeatedly asking the LORD to grant me some searching soul unto whom I might declare the glorious tidings of the Gospel. A quiet assurance rested upon me that He had heard. For this hath long been the desire of my heart: that He would permit me to spend the remainder of my days in this blessed employ, declaring before a heedless world the unmerited gift of God—Christ crucified.
There is a strange mingling of joy and fear in such a calling. I know the duty laid upon me, yet by nature I shrink from the attention of men. And herein I cannot but wonder at the wisdom of God. He hath taken this insecure creature from that hole of shame and darkness wherein I once sought to hide myself, and placed me in the very station, and appointed me to the very work, from which my natural disposition would have fled. What room, then, remaineth for boasting? None in the creature. If such a man is made to stand before others and proclaim Christ, the glory can belong to God alone. God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Just as my vehicle neared the Town Hall, I was brought to a halt by the unexpected greeting of a lady. She had shown me such simple kindness that I could do no less than return it in some small measure, and counted it a privilege to offer her the provision of a meal. Her gratitude was itself a blessing unto my heart. May the LORD, in His mercy, grant another occasion upon my return, when I might speak with her.

As I drew near to my usual place, I noticed only four persons sheltering beneath the kiosk. A light shower had accompanied me upon the journey and driven most people under cover. Yet scarcely had I taken my place beneath the open sky when the rain ceased, and before long those who had been scattered began to gather again. I could not but receive the circumstance with gratitude, trusting that the Lord had once more made room for the preaching of His Word.
This day also brought an unexpected blessing. A woman came and seated herself directly before me. The moment I noticed her, there arose within me a strong persuasion that perhaps this was the searching soul for whom I had prayed along the way. From that moment the character of my address changed. Though I spoke within the hearing of all, much of what followed seemed directed toward this one soul. Formal preaching gradually gave way to earnest pleading. In my heart I found myself speaking almost personally to her, pouring forth what I knew of that grace which I myself had received at the Fountain of Life.
And herein was another cause for thanksgiving: most of those who had been present from the beginning remained attentive until I had finished, some forty-five minutes later. Such sustained attention was no small encouragement to my heart.
As I slowly made my way back toward the parking ground, the heavens opened once more and the rain returned. I could not but smile at the timing of it. The shower which had ceased whilst the Word was being proclaimed now accompanied me upon my departure, and I received it as another occasion to wonder at the kind providence of my Father. As I walked beneath the rain, one thought pressed heavily upon me: "Ah, how shall I ever find sufficient words to tell them of Thee, O LORD? I am ever at a loss, and my tongue too feeble when called to speak of Thy glorious and boundless grace!"
As I rode away, I passed the kiosk once more and saw the woman still seated there, looking quietly into the distance. She appeared lost in thought, and I could not help but wonder whether something she had heard remained upon her mind. May the LORD not leave her merely to her own reflections, but in His sovereign goodness show her grace and mercy. May that Word which was sown this day take root within her heart and, in His appointed time, bring forth fruit unto everlasting life.
Comments
Post a Comment