Hagonoy, Bulacan

From the fish port, and after nearly an hour of riding we arrived at Hagonoy's Public Market. We proceeded straight to work.

If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin.
But now they no longer have any excuse for their sin.
John 15:22


This place is a mix of humble souls and proud devils. People who have known nothing but hardship hardly have any interest in hearing the word. Just when we arrived a funeral slowly crept past us with the pall bearers carrying the dead's casket, and people whom I assumed were relatives and friends walking behind it. I cannot help looking at the tarpaulin where an old woman's picture was displayed, thinking if she was a believer in the LORD, or do these poor souls following her wake have their eyes open to see the reality of death right in front of them. We walked towards the back end of the market just before the bridge. I always look for whatever elevation I can find, and the railing offered just the perfect stage. Right beside a 15 foot drop.


Throwing caution aside and risking having to faint under the noonday sun, my brother Jordan stayed with me to lift up the cross. I was preaching a gospel that offers no option against the hardness of the proud hecklers but the cross. It is either eternal death, or Christ. We disturbed the corner of the market very well. The queue of tricycles lining the bridge became our visible audience, and I can see workers sitting behind the posts of the construction building beside us gazing blankly into space. Was assisted mightily in my voice and with power in the word. I was both angry and desperate in exposing sin and taking away any and all hope of these creatures with themselves, and turn them towards the mercy of God. My daughter bravely went inside the market by herself. Jhet got the lapel from my bag and walked to the front of the market to preach to the people there. We were on the offensive against the gates of hell and Father was with us.
 
I did not want to expose my brother to the sun longer than necessary, so I presented an extremely pointed lamentation against sin, and a direct and blunt plea to turn to the cross of Christ. The heat did take away much from me, and my dear brother assisted me as we walked. A bit weakened, but zeal for the LORD consumes me.

We joined our brother at the front after, and continued for another half hour after Jhet already started before we got there. People visibly stopped to listen. Especially some drivers at the terminal in front of us. It was a good place to proclaim Christ. Father graciously gave us strength to endure the terrible heat. I was able to rest, watching their backs, but standing under the sun as they were. I choose to remain under the heat with my fellow soldiers.

It is only fitting to praise Father in sending us this dear sister who bought us food. At first I declined and told her we do not accept donations and strongly discourage people who offer to give us money. She insisted and was obviously smiling behind her mask as she introduced herself. She is also a born again believer. May the LORD keep her standing to the end. She will definitely not lose her reward.


This was a very fruitful day for us. I say this not to commend ourselves for what we did, but that Father honored us with the privilege of partaking with the labors of His vineyard. After this photo Jhet still shared the gospel with the lady vendor we bought juices from, and when we walked backed to our bikes, the parking attendant asked if we were the ones standing on the bridge, to which he expressed disgust against the people there who laughed at us for the fools they were. He was very thankful for the tract he received and refused our payment for his services. We insisted anyway and blessed him. May Father show him mercy.


The church must recognize that there is not much time left before our LORD returns. It hurts my head to think of it. A person who lives up to 60 only has 720 months to live. If I were that person, then I only have less than 132. Thinking of reality this way helps put things into perspective. Instead of thinking time is merely a bottomless luxury we should enjoy, and not redeem. Not everyone is called to preach the gospel out in the streets, but all true children of God are  commanded to shine as lights that point all men everywhere to the goodness and severity of God. Good news is meant to be shared. Otherwise you do not believe it to be such yourself.

Comments