Trusting in the LORD

A journal entry on the early morning of June 19th, 2018. A paraphrasing of entries in the Book of Psalms, when my soul was much disquieted from prolonged neglect of intimacy with the Lord.

Psalms 42:5  Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

To be cast down within me is to magnify my troubles over the LORD and despise His saving hand. It is to say, thou canst not deliver me, thine right hand hast no power. Greater are my troubles than thee. I fill my self with pity, I cannot run with horses, I have made man mine confidence, and my intimacy in the place of secret prayer is empty. I move about my business without regard for thee, I find no pleasure in meditating on your word in the night watches. I would sleep rather for tired is my mind and body. I delight not in Christ as my joy, therefore my reins are consumed within me. But thou hast looked upon thy servant with your lovingkindness. Truly, O LORD, thy mercies endure forever. I am cast down, that I am not cast down over my sin and fleshly weakness. Bow down thine ear and hear me, my God, for I am poor and needy.

Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. Trust in him AT ALL TIMES; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in governors. For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

The LORD is near unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all. He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken. The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate. A broken and a contrite heart,  O LORD, thou wilt not despise.

In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee. He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.

When I am afraid, I will trust in thee. I trust in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation. Thou hast put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

If Christ is my joy, how can I be downcast? The farther I am from God the nearer I am to the world and its woes. The nearer I am in intimacy with the Lord,  the farther I am from the world's worries and woes. I will therefore turn to Christ, and enter into His gates with thanksgiving, with worship, and with praise. He will renew my strength. Marvelous are his works, and my soul knows it well.

Isaiah 40:29-31  He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

O soul, wait on the LORD! He is worthy of ALL my trust.

Comments