One Soul For Fifty Dollars

"He will ask for a discount", came the Lord's impression clearly as I stood inside the train on my way to work, where I was to meet a buyer for an item I was trying to sell online for some months now. I replied, "If he does Lord, I will exchange his price for a tract instead." That was that. I arrived at the studio thirty minutes later and settled in. A few minutes more I received a message that my buyer was already downstairs at the gate waiting. I hurried down but forgot to bring a tract so I ran back up to get one, apprehensive as usual, doubts racing through my mind: "It's embarrassing. He'll think you're weird. You heard wrong in the train anyway. Don't do it." I put it in my pocket and headed downstairs.


I shook his hand. A very pleasant man to talk to. We had a little talk about the item, his health, my wife's health, how similar their condition was, and a bit about his bike. Then just as the Lord said, he asked if he can get the item at a lower price. So I asked him what his budget was, then he said if I'd be willing to let it go for just $120. (I honestly thought he'd ask a discount just around the $10 range, as I was selling the item for $170 but I agreed last night to give it to him for just $140).

Having had a preamble from the Lord about what would happen, I just told him I am willing to let it go for his price if only he'd be kind enough to take a tract in exchange, and a promise that he'd read it. He was more than happy and accepted my gift, a while later conceding to give me the full amount, but I declined. We already had an agreement, and his reading a tract in exchange for a $50 discount is more than a good deal. It was a great deal! I told him that his soul is worth far more than $50.

We exchanged more pleasantries as he got in his car, thanking me. I was thanking the Lord. Is it a loss for me? It may seem so, but then again, it may not be. I am smiling inside thinking this may have very well been my most expensive tract :) Anyway, $50 will go just like that when I spend it, but for one precious soul to read about the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, the very power of God unto salvation, that is just priceless. God knows my need, and it's not money: it is HIM.

May he be pleased to see this planted seed grow in praise for his glory.

Comments