Being Ready In Season & Out of Season

There is an invisible battle that pull between our person and the work before us. I have never been this aware or have come under intense attack more than these past months wherein I have commenced work in the Master's vineyard. I continually dread going out to witness, my own flesh condemning me, but Christ strengthening me in return. Within me I rejoice in knowing I do not know how to proceed once I stand before the people, my stomach turning, my bones shaking, I throw myself at the mercy of my Lord always, the better part of my offer is but to stand there, and let him use me as it pleases him.


This month saw a handful of severe weather disturbances and earthquakes all over the world. I believe, if my reading serves me right, this is the first time in a long while that three super storms are marching in towards the United States. We also have our share of rain here, even this morning a better part of Manila is under knee deep water. Filipinos have grown quite accustomed to such storms, even enjoying it at times, at least those who are not really affected, but to every nation under the heavens, the hand of God continually calls out to His people in the midst of the heathen, to come to him. The perishing sees tragedies as a sign of a cruel god, I see it as a merciful call for His prodigal children to return.


I with my family lived a few years here in Pasay, considered to be Metro Manila's dirtiest of all its cities. I am witness to its never ending "Saklaan" on every street corner, where night after night, like clock work, a police mobile does its rounds collecting money from these illegal makeshift gambling spots. This part of the city is always goes under knee-high water when it rains, and come summer, fires are common place. Yet I believe Father has much people in this place, and so I go. 


After preaching at two places, I walked from LRT Libertad Station back to M. Dela Cruz, proclaiming the Gospel as I went, going through the streets and heading on straight to Waltermart, at the corner of Arnaiz and Pasong Tamo. The Lord blessed me a cool drizzle the whole time, which if it were not so, would have made it difficult to shout and walk under the usually intense metro heat. When I reached the corner of Eurotel, I walked up to the authorities who were present and asked permission if I can preach at the pedestrian crossing in between. It is always a good practice to acknowledge the law in every place I choose to stand to preach the Gospel on. For one, they appreciate the show of respect , and two, it puts us in a good light, submitting to the law, as unto God.

Mapsa enforcers are notorious and unforgiving by reputation, but these gentlemen were so polite to advise and direct me to the local Barangay Hall, where I can ask for proper permission. I thanked them and proceeded to cross the street. The one in the green windbreaker (he had a big smile as he was talking with me) called me back to ask if I were a Christian, so I asked him if he was too. He said he was a Catholic who attends a Christian church, and as he was on duty, I merely encouraged him to continue, shook his hand, and went on my way. Please pray for him if you are reading this.


Arriving at the Barangay Hall, I was led inside to speak to the girl, (I insist the obvious,) who I was told was in charge. When I told her if I can have permission to preach on the island for 15 minutes I was declined, reason being I needed a permit, and that their office was closed. I said I wouldn't be soliciting money, and would leave immediately after just 15 minutes. Needless to say, her answer was no, so I'll leave it at that. If she had other reasons against my proposal and what I represented, I do not wish to assume anything. I thanked them, and headed back to work.


I was loving the rain as I was walking under its blessing. I was thanking the Lord for this privilege, for the air in my lungs, the strength in my legs, my life today, and the lives of the people who prayed for me this morning for the Lord's work. Just when I stepped inside my workplace, the rain poured heavily, quickly sinking the streets in a flood that reached nearly to the the knee on some parts. The Lord knows how to take care of me. 


May the Lamb that was slain, receive the reward for his suffering.

Comments