Danilo


Danilo is 13 years old. 

He drew close to us as I talked with Tatay Junior sitting on a bench just outside Chowking. The guards came twice to shoo him away but he kept returning. I signalled him with a smile to wait for me. He understood, and just stretched himself on the pavement like he was on a comfortable sofa. After quite a lengthy retelling of the gospel, to which Tatay Junior listened intently, I asked to be excused from his audience, so I can mind young soul who patiently waited for me. He thanked me sincerely with an affectionate hand on my arm. 

Danilo lives in Pandi. A few kilometers from the busy commercial area of Santa Maria. He earns $4 a day by assisting people taking the commute with their groceries. His father died at 46, and says he's in heaven because he was a good man. His mother on the other hand, is at home without work, and the only Danilo told me of her is that she often beats his 15 year old sister, who is already married. His older brother weaves baskets for a living. All of them live apart from each other, going where they find support from relatives.

According to him, he hasn't eaten breakfast yet, and is very hungry. But he ordered just enough food, and not over much, which is what usually happens when some people take advantage of the opportunity to eat for free. After the meal we got to talk about the law and the gospel and he was listening attentively. He thanked me, and took two tracts to bring home. 

Did I accomplish anything? I don't care to know. I imagine seeing him again before the judgement seat pointing to me, for whatever reason, God only knows. That's how it should be.


Comments