The Invisible Listener

I was pleasantly interrupted this last Thursday afternoon as I was doing my reading at our barn door, by a neighboring mother who called my attention, asking me about having to attend church again. She has started to attend the services at the end of 2019, just after the chapel was built, but due to the insistence of her husband to cease from such she has since stopped. I will tell of her background briefly, without going into specifics, only that on this particular day, she was recommended by her parole officer to attend a Christian church anywhere near her as part of her probation program. She immediately thought of us. 

Come evening, we enjoy quietness in our area, and it had crossed my mind that my voice could probably be heard from the outside as we did our study. And so I deliberately raise my voice more than usual in the hopes that our neighbors might hear. This mother had indeed by God's providence been listening in, over our wall, on our evening bible classes. Being content to sit quietly outside, in the dark, just to hear. 


Her husband, as in the case of most mothers here, strongly discourages and disapproves of her getting involved in any way with the church. Their house, full of carved images. But God made it so that while serving her sentence, a group of born again Christians helped her, and it made such an impression on her that she wanted to know more. Now the recent recommendation frees her from the restraint of her husband and obliges her to seek interactions with Christians.

This Monday evening, she joined us for the first time in our evening class. Our very first neighbor. Could this be the seed breaking from the soil that we have been praying for in this place? I am both humbled and fearful. Such a priceless treasure has been placed on my hands. Unknown to her, her son also inquired of our bible study separately. Lord willing, he will be joining as well. If so, Father has already entrusted 19 souls to my care. Grace is sure to follow. May He find me faithful.

May she obtain abounding favor of the LORD, and rich mercy be shown to her and her family, as with all the other souls under my shepherding.

Comments