Paso de Blas

My wife is my great earthly encourager. Whenever I step out to proclaim the gospel in public in the power of the LORD, I know it is because she is praying for me. I can not do without her intercession, as I can never do without the LORD's. Before I leave, she makes it a point to embrace me, as if it were our last. This particular afternoon, she affectionately said goodbye and whispered to me, 'the Lord is very pleased with what you are doing,' and it greatly troubled me as I pulled out of our street. Even along my route 26 km away, it kept resounding in my head. I wanted to stop by the side of the road and just weep. 

"Do I Lord? Do I really please you? Do I even dare believe that I do?"

It seemed to be an impossible, almost blasphemous thought, that I ever did anything to please my Lord. Not that He is hard to please, but my not so few shortcomings hung so clearly in between my eyes. God has greatly magnified Christ in my studies this past year, and along with it, a deepening consciousness of my total incapacity to do anything good as well. I have, for so long, greatly desired to be used even for once to bring Him glory. Just once, to be given that most prized privilege. I continue to hope.

I finished my work near evening. Quietly drove home, and when I saw our house, I thanked my LORD that He was at least pleased in answering my wife's prayers to allow me to come safely home.


Comments