More Than I Asked

Today's errand took me back to Santa Maria. To the drugstore first, and to pay for a near deadline electric bill after. Before leaving I laid face down before God, asking Him for the opportunity to talk with a soul today for His name's sake. God delivered more than what I have asked.

I greeted J***** and returned his vibrant smile when he saw me. His enthusiasm was obvious as he only excused himself once in a while when someone came to park or leave. The LORD enabled me to explain in simple words, using stories he can relate to as examples, the whole of his offenses against the law, to which later he admitted: everyone has indeed sinned and is incapable of meriting God's favor, much less His forgiveness. The more he saw the gravity of the law, the more he understood the grace it took for God to give His Son. In Islam, Allah has no son. So, telling him how Jesus was God's Son and Christ was a gentle lesson on compassion and sensitivity. It was a blessed hour-long conversation, and I was well pleased to offer to buy him a sandwich and drink, thinking that joining him for a quick lunch would be a great way to bond more. He graciously declined at first, but I insisted. Earlier I saw his work mate tending to his wares, so I got him lunch as well.

G***** is also a parking attendant here. She was one of the first to work in the park almost 30 years ago. She is now 70 years old, but her energy is still at its youth. I was humbled to have been surrounded by the meek and lowly. People whom the Lord described affectionately in reference to, time and again in His word. It was a complimentary scene, they were eager to tell their stories, I was eager to listen to them.


R***** was financially blessed in his former life. He now works as a parking attendant alongside my newfound Muslim friends, J***** and O*****. He has a large gash on his stomach and is overdue for an operation, being that he has no means to undergo the procedure. He got that from being hit by a speeding vehicle and dragged a considerable distance, causing his innards to spill out. His wife watched him unflinching as he lay bleeding on the pavement. His son died of dengue, but it was kept secret from him by his wife. He only found out after the child had long been buried. He has a good understanding about God than most people I have spoken to, missing the point on some, but accurate on the part that he has so many sins to answer for, and is hoping for a way to get it right with God before he dies.

As he was narrating to me some stories in the bible, particularly the woman who was caught in adultery but was forgiven, he was in tears, and I do not mean he was just sniffing. I cannot help but be ashamed of myself. Here is this man, who has no idea that Christ is the very Savior he was hoping for, but he was in tears just telling me about this story. How come I had not cried like that? He had a lot in his heart that he was pouring out, a sad sign that he rarely had anyone, or none, listening to him. Our conversation lasted for an hour and a half.

J***** was the one who cut us off so I can go home before it pours. The skies were dark and threatening. Had I not another errand to attend to I would have stayed for as long needed. I wish to return and see these souls again. R***** was asking if we can talk more about God next time, mentioning something about a forming a chapel group (he is Roman Catholic) just for it. I understood what he meant. My heart was heavy as I prepared to leave.

I was on my way home, intending to pass by the neighborhood pay center. I just remembered, its slipped my mind, that in buying my friends lunch I am now short on money. Ah Lord, I smiled and simply thanked God for answering my prayer that morning. We only have food to last us till this evening. Tomorrow is another day.

Comments

Post a Comment