The Cost Of Following Christ

It has become increasingly difficult for Christians who work in the corporate world not to be affected in one way or another, as society embraces the very things the Lord has condemned. I have been formally unemployed since September of last year for refusing to work on a sodomite movie, yet the Lord has honored me, faithfully providing for my family while giving us the means to provide for our personal ministry's needs as well.

I believe in the gift of work. I am thankful for work. But it comes far behind my desire to obey my God, however imperfectly. Needless to say, in my situation, I cannot in good conscience live off the ministry. I thank the Lord I am not a pastor, that I am not constrained to recieve compensation for service. Two brothers have sent me money on occasion, but it all went to the purchase of Bibles and tracts. Like Paul, I prefer to work well with the hands I have been given, and with the Lord blessing me with several skills, I can enjoy a wider selection of fields to work in. It is enough comfort to know we are not in debt.

For now I am currently applying for work as a motorcycle delivery driver. It definitely does not pay as much as my previous profession, but that's the beauty of it. I can minister in more places. It will cover the basic bills, but the Lord is able to do more with the few loaves and fish I bring to him. It will bring me low, but will give much worth to the cross laid upon me. My wife does not agree to it, given the heat wave we have this summer, where stories of riders suffering heatstroke on the road abound. But as the Lord would have it, if He indeed so will, I would be accepted. My previous life on a motorcycle finally put to good use.


I can only plan. It is up to the Lord to direct my steps. If my application is declined, there are better ways up ahead. We will never be reduced to begging for bread, but in a more glorious way we have been driven further into the arms of the Lord. For this I am eternally grateful.

Comments