The Lowly

Was led to minister today, though it was late in the afternoon and I meant to catch the early bus home. It was instantly clear to me where I should go, and I was graciously spared from the usual fear that accompanied such bidding. I stood at my spot and waited for the fish to come in, but this time nobody was interested, which was both sad and heartbreaking to see. It seems the further one is up the social ladder the less mind they give to the things of God. Most of the people who received the Gospel gladly are the lesser and lowly ones. It is well obvious that God is pleased to save the humble with the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ. It was then that from the corner of my eye I caught sight of these two pedicab drivers from a good distance away watching me strangely hold out a piece of paper and plead with the passing crowd who was oblivious to me.

I felt that I should go and converse with them so without any hesitation I obeyed, and walked to these two souls who were waiting for passengers and offered that I should pay for what they can earn in 15 minutes of their time if only I could talk  to them. This seemed a strange request to them, but I was willing to fall in line again should I miss my bus, and so when they obliged I began to speak to them about the state of their souls.


One on one never appealed to my flavor, but I was surprisingly at ease talking to them, the grace to do so being wonderfully provided to me (as I would later realize this upon thinking back sitting in the bus on the way home). Tonight the grace of God was kindly extended to these two, whom I loved while I spoke with them (my camera's limited field of view did not catch the man on my right). They listened attentively as I told them of the terrible consequences of their offense against God and his Christ, the helplessness of their predicament, and about the love that sacrificed all to reach the castaways, the heavily burdened and delinquents of this present age.


They refused to receive what money I promised them for giving me their time, even when they politely declined passengers wanting to employ them while we spoke. They were instead very thankful that I would take time to talk with them about things they have never heard before. We shook hands. I parted with two tracts for them and blessed them. Needless to say it was God who gave attention to them, not I.

The Lord gave me two realizations tonight: There is a dire and critical need this day. It is quite common to quote that people die everyday and end up in an eternity of torment; the amount of attention I pour into the spread of the Gospel is relative to the urgency I put into it, whether it be by pleading with the people or pleading to God on behalf of the people. How much do I really have Christ in me to love them enough to tell them? If the Father's business is not my business, then what is my business being a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Comments