August Prelude :: First

From my journal entry, late evening of Friday, August 4, 2017.

The Lord was pleased to reveal to me my heart in front of my children, and with his grace, as quickly as I manifested it, all the more willingly I humbled myself.

I have seen how yet corrupt I am; how in the smallest of spaces sin has kept silently waiting to once again expose its vile head. It was the good Lord's pleasure to place my loathesome heart before me, a good answer to my inward wonder of these dry eyes, and weariness in intimate prayer. In his love he allows me to fall, so that the thoughts of my own heart might be revealed to me. What a marvelous show of mercy towards my unbelief: wisdom for ignorance, mercy for unbelief!

I have been the old man for more than three and forty years, yet have wrongly expected release in the new creature from those years in just three. I see God is working behind fall after fall after fall, in meeting each with grace abounding unto more grace, and as it may strangely appear, he has great revenue in my infirmities, that as I mature in Christ I might be found ever as humble as in the day he first found me, and Christ become my only prize. God crushes the very hold of sin every time his children falls.

Comments