Day 29

The Muslims became restless towards the end when all they heard was about Jesus dying on the cross. They did not want to hear about their secret sins brought out into the open, nor did they want to hear about a mere prophet being the Savior of sinners. Whitefield said, “I was honored to have rotten eggs and pieces of a dead cat thrown at me as I preached Christ.” Though I have had some type of resistance and threat before alas, I have not yet had such an honor. God has graciously taken me often to the brink but not over. My time will come.

I purposely avoided preaching at this spot but it was inevitable. The crowd was more than usual being days away from the New Year. Despite my fears and excuses not to stand here, God prevailed. I was not sent to preach the Gospel to the many who were irritated and annoyed, and who honked horns to drown me out - but to the few who listened patiently and intently. Just as Jesus did not come for the self-righteous but for sinners. If there is such a thing that can be described as a precondition to coming to Christ, it is this: one must be a sinner. A sinner who humbly admits his sins. Only sinners may approach Christ, not good people. Christ did not die for good people. He died for sinners. He came for the sick, not the healthy. His call is for those who need a Savior, not those who can get by alone.

“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”
Luke 5:31-32

Heaven is full of immoral sinners who repented and looked to Christ's finished work on the cross for salvation. Hell is full of good and moral people who look to their own goodness to save themselves.

If you own yourself to be a great sinner, I implore you, to flee to Christ. He is a great Savior.

Comments