Bookbinding Keil and Delitzsch Commentary: Genesis

This is a huge undertaking for me, to start compiling my personal copy of Keil and Delitzsch's commentary on the Old Testament. 

"Carl Friedrich Keil and Franz Delitzsch were Nineteenth-century theologians from a German protestant background. They compiled one of the most comprehensive and extensive commentaries on the Old Testament. Their work in the 1800s is still held in high regard throughout theological circles for its meticulous and sound doctrinal commentary. Their work examines the historical and grammatical aspects of the entire Old Testament in Hebrew in their original context so you can easily follow the textual analysis of its intended meaning in its original language."

From accordancebible.com - Both Keil and Delitzsch were German Lutherans. Living in an era that saw the rise of German theological liberalism, both men were well-versed in the scholarship of the day but chose to write their commentary from the convictions of a more conservative viewpoint, which may partly attest to the series’ continued popularity today. The two scholars split the work of the commentary between them with Keil writing on Genesis through Esther and Jeremiah to Malachi, while Delitzsch wrote on Job to Isaiah. 

My goal is to compile Matthew Henry, John Gill, Charles Simeon, and Hugh Binning. With the exception of Matthew Henry, the others are very hard to come by, very rare, not to mention expensive and out of my means. But since the LORD has given me the knowledge of binding my own books, the only part that will not cost me money is the compiling of the works, printing, and binding them. I know I will enjoy the process as well as the adding of books to the growing library.

Genesis will mostly top out at 450 pages or more. The thicker the better. I cannot wait to do Exodus and Leviticus. This endeavor will keep me fruitful and occupied for a good while. A back read of the start of my book binding journey is here.

Comments