One Soul

"Ace" was dozing off on a ledge when I tried nudging him. He didn't budge at the first few tries. But when I asked him, "want to eat?" he sheepishly opened his eyes and sat up. 

"Have you eaten yet?"
"Later I hope, sir."
"When did you last eat?"
"Last night.
"
"If I give you something to buy food with, where will you get some?"

He pointed to a fish ball stall across the street.

"How about you going there to get what you want? Buy me a jelly drink as well, then come back here so we can eat together and talk."

As Ace was over at the stall, I asked the LORD, "how do I do this, what do I say? Have mercy , LORD.. please. For your name." 

I tried looking for him, thinking maybe he ran off. But after a short while he came back with a small meal in his hand, and a drink for him and me. He ate his snack, I drank my "gulaman" (jelly), and asked how his parents were. His father was incarcerated for murder since he was four years old. He is now eleven. He and his 17 year-old brother works for the family. His brother carries vegetables in the market, and Ace begs for money on the street. His younger brother of 8 years stays home with his mother, who is tending to a baby. I asked what he would do if ever he received money. He said he would immediately buy rice for the family and milk for his baby brother.

Finding words to share the gospel at this level is impossible. But not for the Holy Ghost. This boy understands that going to church doesn't make one a good person, that God is good and people are not. He knows Jesus died for our sins, but he doesn't know what that means. Though I felt helpless and insufficient, only the LORD knows how my simplified illustrations were sown into the being of this wonderful soul as my heart was drawn out to him. I asked him to remember what we talked about, because one day when he is all grown up, God will send another servant of His to remind him of our conversation today.

He thanked me. I smiled.

"Alexis" on the other hand is a different character. just as Ace and I were finishing our conversation he came over, shaking my hand, calling me brother, blessing me, - and we haven't even met. He asked if I gave Ace anything and kept patting my pockets for change. He is one of Ace's bullies on the street and is an avid user of solvents. Before we parted I left him fatherly advice, reminding him of his disabled dad at home, and how he cannot help him from jail. Alexis kept thanking me for the nth time as we parted. 

I headed home, asking the LORD to see the planted seed to fruition, safe from the birds. I can't help thinking about the huge disparity between Ace's life and mine. I am heading home to my wife and children, with dinner waiting for me. But he.. I just want to shut the world out completely and think about how I found Ace, and his whole life ahead of him. I don't even know where to begin. Thinking he is just one among hundreds of thousands of children right this very moment without even a "tomorrow" to look forward to, never mind a future, is severely overwhelming. I can only fall helplessly on God, the Father to the fatherless.


This particular market is practically a paradise for sowing the gospel. You will never run out of people to share with here on any given day. Seeing the countless number of souls is overwhelming. It is a sight well enough for any true Christian to lose sleep over. Even with many churches around, you will sooner see a shooting star every night than find a missionary here. Sympathy is useless without action. May the LORD show mercy and send more prophets to His vineyard for His great name's sake.

Comments