Constantino Compound

If I speak in the eloquence of men and tongues of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 
And if I have a prophet's power, and have knowledge of all secret things; and if I have all faith, by which mountains may be moved from their place, but have not love, I am nothing.
And if I give all my goods to the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it is of no profit to me.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 

Modern Christians tend to cling to works, whether they are aware of it or not. They think that accomplishments in the LORD's name is the measure of faith. But the people who did much for the LORD were the very same ones whom God rejected in the end. Matthew 7.21  You can do all good without loving God. But you cannot love God without doing good to all. You can also claim that the reason for all you do is because you love God. Indeed, Christianity is full of such empty songs and boastings. But loving God prohibits you from choosing who to show that love to. Doing good does not necessarily merit acceptance with God, for there are a lot of unbelievers who do good for every selfish reason there is. God judges the motivations of men. Is what we do really all for God, or is it all about us in God's name? Would it not be a terrifying waste of life to accomplish much for the Lord in this life only to be disowned in the end?

Why will this happen?

Because they did not do it in the agape of the Lord. They did it in the fileo of men. A love that chooses who to do good to. To utterly reject brethren of the same faith simply because they disagree on certain matters is to go utterly against what charity calls for. I hate this poisoned, modernist thinking of people under the wing of reformed theology. The word 'heretic' is overrated and uncharitably brandished around, like a thoughtless and lifeless sword; like fire called from the sky to rain upon people who offends them, or whom they disagree with. It's akin to the word leftists is fond of using against those whose views differ from them: bigot. Truly we do not know what manner of spirits we have. Luke 9:54-55  Religionists who murdered Christians in the past did the very same thing. They massacred people in the name of God while going against the very mandate of charity. Where is the Christian who loves with the love of God without condition? Is not the church called not only to do good to all men but moreover to actively seek the opportunity to do so, especially to those who walk in the Lord? Wisdom is justified by her true children.

What good is it if you only love the people who love you? Don't evil people do the same?
What makes you different if you only greet your brethren? Don't evil people do the same? 
Matthew 5.46-47

We have only two motives in doing what we do. One, because we desire the praise of men, or the other, because we understood clearly that it was God who first loved us in our darkness. Romans 5.8  I may do all wondrous works towards men, but if what I do does not stem from a sacrificial love for God, the church, and all men, my works have no eternal value. Tho I feed the poor but accomplish such only because it is the Christian thing to do, and do it not out of sacrificial love for God, the church, and all men, then I am living a life of hypocrisy that will end in eternal regret.

It is the motivation of agape - the sacrificial love that comes only from God - that is the sweet incense of all acceptable works in the heavenlies. All else, however monumental and universally praised, is self-motivated, and man-centered. 

As for me, I do not even possess the strength to crawl towards the foot of the cross even if I wanted to. It is Christ who brings me there. I ask myself, do I really love Him? I know I cannot love Him as I ought to, but in the smallest, minute, atom of reality, do I really love Him? I dare not answer. I can only wonder in mute silence - in utter amazement - at His forgiveness. His salvation. And His mercy.

Five years ago I asked for the privilege of attending a church gathering in the middle of a rice field with dirt as flooring. A month ago the LORD indelibly placed in my mind to move our gathering to this portion of land a stone's throw behind our house, to bring the gospel to the neglected people in this compound, but since I did not know anyone from here, I stopped thinking about it.

Last week, unbeknownst to us, we received news that the owner of this small hut was already approached earlier by a neighbor, asking if we can use it for our bible study. The owner instantly agreed and has been expecting us for weeks. But we did not know. God was making things happen. So on this Lord's day, it is here that we gathered, and the good news of redemptive grace was heard. God is faithful indeed. Though I expect nothing at this point, I go where my Lord bids me. For how long this will last is not my concern. This may be the first and last. I do not know. But I do pray the LORD enable me to remain faithful against the days ahead.
 

Lola Natividad, the owner, is 92 years young. A vibrant and strong soul. Her head is hurting a bit this afternoon so we offered a quick massage. How will I measure at that age? God knows. While I praise God for her, I do not wish to live that long. If the LORD will grant me 10 more years, it is the most I can ask. No more. But for the LORD's sake, may He be pleased to open Lola Nati's understanding, and the people of this small community, to the saving truth of Christ's gospel.
 
 

Comments