Marabut, Samar

“The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.” Matthew 4:16
It has been strongly placed in my heart since middle of the previous year to visit Samar, but I have been hampered much by the transitions my family and I went through following my leave from the corporate world, until everything cleared out just this last December. After settling my mother-in-law in who just arrived from Canada to spend time with us for three weeks, I went ahead and booked the trip, and threw away the key so to speak, that I would not have a chance to back out again.


Three weeks ago, brother Derek and his dear wife Celi, along with three girls in their care, drove to Samar to visit the work there, so I had assumed and was doubly glad to know that I would still get to meet them before they left. Through the providence of the Lord, I arrived safely during the last weekend of their departure back to Manila. I had intended to arrive on a Sunday so as to have a chance to worship with the brethren, most  especially have a longer talk with my good brother Isagani who pastors the local church, and sister Jec, whom the children under her care fondly call ate (a-teh, the Tagalog term of endearment for elder sister). We have met in other instances in the past year but it was very brief, and there were other activities to attend to, so this would be the best time to have a decent conversation with them.


Samar is the third largest island in the Philippines. Located in eastern Visayas, within central Philippines. The island is divided into three provinces: Samar (the western two-fifths of the island of Samar), Northern Samar, and Eastern Samar. These three provinces, along with the provinces on the nearby islands of Leyte and Biliran are part of the Eastern Visayas region. (Taken from Wikipedia)


Samar is the easternmost island in Visayas. The island is separated from Leyte by the San Juanico Strait, which at its narrowest point is only about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) across. This strait is crossed by the San Juanico Bridge. Samar lies southeast of the Bicol Peninsula on Luzon, the country's largest island; the San Bernardino Strait separates the two. To the south of Samar is the Leyte Gulf, which was the site of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, one of the most decisive naval battles during the Second World War. The gulf opens out into the Philippine Sea, found to the east of Samar and is part of the Pacific Ocean. (Taken from Wikipedia)



I was received by my dear sister Jec, and was introduced to the children who made up this "family". We were finally able to exchange stories and I was given a background on the work being done here. I joined brother Derek and sister Celi at the dinner table, and I learned more about the plans of the ministry for outreach and for the children.

The children were very impressive. Each one had a chore assigned to them, and everybody already knew what needed to be done. The chores range from getting water from the pump and filling up the pails in the bathrooms (girls and boys are separate), washing the dishes, feeding the dogs, cats, chickens, and the pig behind the house, sweeping the floor, locking up, among other things. I did not hear one instruction given. The children have obviously incorporated being useful into their routine. After they were done cleaning the place, we prepared for bed. The place was tidy by the time we lay down. Lights out here is by 9PM, but I enjoyed one round of chess with the children before retiring for the night. I asked the Lord to wake me up before four so I can have my devotion before the place wakes up.

The Lord did wake me up at four, and I was doing my morning devotions when a knock came on our door. It was quarter to five in the morning, and the children immediately got up and folded their beds. I sat with my blanker over my head for cover and I could hear them moving about quietly in a frenzy, trying their best not to disturb me, and after a good while - silence. They were already seated around the table doing their morning scripture reading. Incredible! Jec had disciplined these young ones to the point that this had become a normal everyday routine, and that a breach in the routine would probably seem to inversely be abnormal instead. Not one complaint was heard. Not one sleepy eye. They were all attentive at once.

The children are divided into two groups. One group stays in or lives here, they are called the in-house, and another that spends most of the day here but goes home to their families, they are the out-house. The ministry has been blessed with a reputation for being faithful to the work of caring for the neighborhood children, and the families are only too pleased to be spared the extra burden of feeding them while living on meager means. There have been numerous instances of heartbreaking scenarios, but the Lord has been faithful through all times, and the families who were once apprehensive have learned to appreciate the tremendous service of the ministry in raising their children for them, whom otherwise would have grown up delinquent.


This is the small unit where the church holds its Sunday services. It belonged to a cooperative and is scheduled to be claimed by the owners next year. Brother Jerome took me with him when he prepared the place that morning. It was a good chance to get to know him and hear a bit of story about what the situation here was. There is a mini gathering for the younger ones before proceeding to the service. They can recite the books of the New Testament in perfect order, something I have not seen with most children back in the city.


The ministry feeds the children, houses them, helps with their lessons, and provides for their school allowance. Daily. The food supply requires three sacks of rice a month for both in-house and out-house children. I can only imagine the bountiful hand of the Lord in providing for the ministry's and children's tremendous needs. The table below is just the first batch. We were up to forty people that morning, but everyone was well content and full.



A little after noon, brother Isagani together with his family, brother Derek, and a few elder people and youth of the church went out to the surrounding villages to bring the gospel to the numerous families who have either no means to go to church, or would simply not take interest in eternal things. This place we went to is called Sabang. I was privileged to go with brother Isagani and walk about half a mile to this quiet spot while the other group ministered at another village. The church ministers to mostly children of families while the parents look on. A small program is prepared by the youth for the children. A game or two to ease things up, and the presentation of the gospel follows after.


Pastor Isagani leads the children into prayer and worship. 


The children play a game or two for laughs. It is a great segue way to the Gospel, as most Catholic families are apprehensive in allowing their children in joining other "religions".


Esme leads the children into a simple understanding of biblical truths.


This is a beautiful spot to talk about Christ. I wish there was such back in the city.


After spending two hours with the folks at Sabang, we headed back to pastor Isagani's house where another church service commences, this time for the neighbors who attend to hear the word of God. The work takes up the whole of Sunday, and repeats itself faithfully each week. It was truly a humbling and learning experience to see first hand what the Lord is doing on this island. The church is doing what it is supposed to be doing: bringing the gospel of Christ to the people.


On my last night the children held a bible quiz about the sermon that was delivered that morning. This was a fine way to emphasize attentiveness among the young ones. I was pleased to see everyone took notes that they were using as reference for the answers, and the winners were awarded with snacks. I was both amazed and wistful at the sight before me. I tried my best to absorb this moment.


I left early the next morning, around 8AM, (four hours after brother Derek and company drove back to Manila), a bit dazed because we woke up around 3AM to see them off, held a 30 minute prayer for their safe journey, and went straight to preparing for the children's school. The slight drizzle made a memorable closing for me after I stepped out of the place and was taken via pedicab by Jerome and Alwyn to my stop. 

I realize that since this was a provincial mainroad, rides don't pass by that often. A couple of vans did but they were all full. I was told that it could take up to two hours of waiting before I could get a ride, but I only had to wait for about 30 minutes till my ride which came in the form of a jam-packed mini bus. I knew I couldn't wait any longer because I wanted to minister at Tacloban before catching my flight back, so I squeezed myself in, and learned how it felt like to be a sardine. I resorted to hanging on the outside of the bus for dear life for a little over an hour all the way to Tacloban, a trip which I thoroughly enjoyed. I missed the view going here, and was very glad I had a clear view of the San Juanico pass before I left.

After arriving at the terminal, I took another ride going to downtown to transfer to another ride going to the airport, but decided to check in first at the local Philippine Christian Bookstore. After purchasing a small King James bible for myself, I walked around the area, trying to find a place where I can stand for public proclamation. Walking for about half a mile in both directions before turning an unknown corner and finding myself in front of the Eastern Visayas State University. Here were plenty of fishes. I brought quite a number of tracts with me, and the Lord graciously allowed me to give all away.

Eastern Visayas Central State University

It was a pleasant surprise to see the people returning my smile and even greeting me back. I am not used to such warm acknowledgements in the course of giving tracts away to people. It seems the stench of the cults that ask money from people in exchange for a minute of bible reading has not yet reached this far south. May it never be.



Samar is a place easy to fall in love with. The simplicity of life here is a far leap from both the comforts and stress of city living. It is not one of the prettiest islands we have, but the Philippines is such that it will not take you a long time to call home wherever you choose to settle in. The land is beautiful indeed, but it is in dire need of the Gospel. I believe that the Father has planted a seed for the people here, and we may have to wait for the young generation to mature, but the Lord's has graciously given  us great and faithful promises. Our hope is in the Lord, in what he has done, and in what he is about to do for us.



Please pray for Samar. May the Lord send more laborers into his harvest.

Comments