The Hedges

For a long time now, I had it in mind to pursue the spread of the Gospel in my own backyard, but I have yet to start, nor do I have any idea where to start. I have stayed away from the practice of going out for the sake of necessity, and leaned more towards the inspiration and bidding of the Holy Ghost. Those who are steeped in mundane religion, are pooled mostly in urban areas, whereas the simple-hearted are neglected to tend to themselves, mostly in a poor and degrading environment.


My daughter was first to inform me of this particular area in San Rafael she had traveled to just last year, but it was only till last Friday that it really sank into me that there were actual fishes far out into the sea. If it indeed be a good thing, to extend the Gospel only to those within my immediate reach, that is to say, those areas that are within my daily route; am I neglecting a need that is just as critical as those I had attended to?


I asked my wife to accompany me in scouting the proposed area that is about 22 kilometers from our home. We were looking for locations where people would be expected to gather such as marketplaces and barangay centers. This area had neither, or if it had, it was not along our trail. We have passed nothing but wide rice fields and mango tree forests with small huts along winding lonely roads until at last, we realized we have been looking for the wrong thing. We were so engrossed in looking for  places where there was a gathering of people that we failed to see the small huts we were already passing by, were the people. They were the fish we have been looking for.


We then stopped at the next hut, parking right along the road (we did not pass anyone going the opposite direction for miles so even though the road was wide enough to fit only two cars, we freely blocked our lane). We took out some bibles and walked towards this family who was in the process of jump starting their stalled jeep. We offered to help push the heavy vehicle, the little ones straining did not have a chance. The mother was only too pleased to let my son and I help push the vehicle till it started. What a great opportunity to start a conversation with them, as they readily accepted our free giveaway. 



A few miles down the road we passed another hut in the middle of a large field, found a safe spot on the side of the road and walked up to it. From afar we can see the caretaker of the field leaving his chore to greet us with a smile. Seeing we were giving away free bibles, his smile grew broader. It was quite a large family congesting this small hut, the sight of their little children running around the house briefly took me back to a time when life was much simpler, and children frolicked in the dirt with bare feet, instead of being incapacitated by gadgets. 


The elders who were simply spending time with the children, talking to each other as they did so, gladly accepted the bibles. I had to mention it because talking to each other these days seem to be a lost art, as people have dumbed down, meeting up with their friends only to play instead with their phones. Life goes the way as it should here.


Precious souls; Oh, how narrow have I been in my visions of eternity, that I have failed to remember that the Gospel is for the simple hearted, not for the sophisticated and proud. As the church delights in its accomplishments for God, I was deeply grieved to have been guilty of neglect. What chance would these ones have of knowing of the Lord's salvation if I would have just remained in my chosen comfot zone? I kept silent most of the time after as I drove.


The long roads gave me a lot of time to think and reflect on my apathy. How gracious of the Lord to remind me of such people I never would have thought of if I were left to myself. I only need to look up and see that the fields are already white for harvest. May the Lord stretch and enlarge my vision for His name's sake.



Comments