The Cross We Must Bear

Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matthew 10:34-39


The words of our dear Lord declare His absolute preeminence above our most intimate relations. Separation of our will from the world's will, and a willingness in the partaking of Christ's humiliation. So it is with those of the elect sovereignly selected by God from eternity past to be sanctified by His word through persecution from their own families, who in my nation's mindset will often use emotional blackmail to force their children to forsake the crosses placed upon them by their Savior. For Filipinos, nothing is more important than family. But for God, nothing is more important than Christ. And for those who choose Christ over family, grievous threats do follow, as God sovereignly works this out for the sanctifying of His called out ones. 


The pictures above represent two years of waiting on the Lord, and fighting against spiritual wickedness. The believer on the outside is attacked daily on all sides, from family issues, daily cares, work, friends, and yes, even church. But the most grievous attack is on the mind. Hence we are well advised by God's word to arrest all our thoughts in submission to Christ (2 Cor 10.5) draw near Him daily (Heb 10.22)  To ask for our daily bread (Matt 6.11) who is Christ. Christ is that light (Jn 8.12) that keeps us from fumbling and stumbling in darkness, such as those who have no light and walk in the night. (Jn 11:9)

Else we be found as a dog who returns to his own vomit. (Prov. 26:11)

Comments